Ribbon belts are a much desired fashion item now, and this one woven through a chain is extra special. It’s so easy to make, all you have to do is decide what color of ribbon to use! Wear it through your pant loops, lower on your hip with a skirt, or with jeans to be dressed to the ultimate.
4-1/2 yards Wrights® 3/8" pink and green lollipop grosgrain ribbon #222-761-904)
1 yard Wrights® 3/8" silver chain (#184-8436-070)
One 36" x 4” piece of foam core, to work on
Needle Nose Pliers
1. Measure desired length of belt.
2. Cut chain to desired length. (Hint: To cut chain, simply open link with needle nose pliers.)
3. To make the sash ties, cut two pieces of ribbon 36".
4. Fold one of these in half (set the other one aside).
5. Thread the folded end of ribbon through the last link of chain forming a loop approximately 2".
6. Thread the tails of ribbon through this loop.
7. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 at other end of chain with the other 36" piece.
8. Now weave the ribbon through the chain to make the belt. For ease of weaving and to stabilize chain, pin one end of the chain through the looped ribbon onto the foam core lengthwise.
9. Take remaining ribbon and cut a point at one end.
10. Beginning with pointed end, weave ribbon in and out of each chain link leaving an 18" tail at each end. (Hint: Only do a few links at a time and pull ribbon all the way through as you go along. The ribbon will twist; it can't be prevented.)
11. Take the ends of the woven ribbon and thread them through the loops at the ends. Pull original ends to tighten and secure.