This fun organizer, made from the legs of cut-off jeans, is a great recycling project. The finished hem of the jeans creates the top of the organizer’s pockets, so there is no need to bind the edges.
This project can be embellished in many ways. We used machine embroidery and decorative stitches. Other options include hand embroidery, rickrack or other trim, or appliqué. It could also be personalized and the pockets labeled.
- Jeans Legs: 3 pairs of legs
- Denim fabric: 1 yard (91.4cm)
- Cord for hanging: 1 yard (91.4cm)
- Dowel: 24 inches (61.0cm)
- Coats Dual Duty Plus® Extra Strong Jeans Thread (N574) or
- Coats Dual Duty Plus® All-purpose Thread (Art 200): color 5 Copenhagen or to match denim
- Coats Rayon Thread-30 wt. (Art D93): color 182 Spark Gold and Coats Rayon Thread-40 wt. (Art. D63): Color 51 Chona Brown were used in this project
- Stabilizer for embroidery.
1. Organizer fabric: Cut 2 pieces of fabric 22 inches x 25 inches (55.9cm x 63.5cm).
2. Pockets: Cut the pant leg sections apart at the outer seam, trimming away the seam. 1st row: Trim 3 leg pieces 5 inches (12.7cm) high by 10 inches (25.4cm) wide. 2nd row: trim 3 leg pieces 9 1/2 inches (24.1cm) high by 10 inches wide. (25.4cm).
3. Embellish pockets as desired with decorative stitching, appliqué, machine or hand embroidery, or trims.
4. To form each pocket row, sew the three same-size leg sections together.
5. Mark the pockets as shown for folding pleats (Illustration 1). At the two ends, fold solid line to dotted line. At seams, fold solid lines to seam line; do not overlap. Baste pleats in place at lower edge.
6. Attaching top row: Mark a line on organizer fabric 11 1/2 inches (29.2cm) from top edge. Place pocket row on fabric, right sides together, with the lower raw edge of pockets against the line (Illustration 2). Stitch, 1/2 inch (1.3cm) from edge. Press seam allowance toward pocket. Fold pocket section right-side-up; press. Baste side seams. Using Jeans thread or all-purpose thread, stitch in the ditch along seams in pocket row to form individual pockets.
7. Bottom row: Fold pleats as above and baste. Place pocket section on organizer fabric, right side facing you, aligning raw edges. Baste sides and bottom edge of pocket. Stitch in the ditch along seams in pocket row to form individual pockets.
8. Place backing fabric on top of organizer, right sides together. Stitch together, using a 1/2-inch (1.3cm) seam allowance. At the top corners, leave a 1-inch (2.5cm) opening in the side seams for inserting a dowel or curtain rod. At the lower edge, leave a 6-inch (15.2cm) opening for turning.
9. Trim corners diagonally. Grade lower edge to reduce bulk. Press the seams open before turning. Pay particular attention to places that are thick due to jeans seams. Turn to right side. Press. Hand sew opening in lower edge closed.
10.Insert dowel, and attach a cord for hanging. For better stability, use a curtain rod and brackets for hanging.