All of Simplicity’s costumes are designed with comfort and safety in mind. Costumes are worn not only for trick-or-treating, but also for parties, pageants, and other events. Make sure to sew your costume with the event in mind, focusing on any special needs you may have. The following tips will help you make this a safe and fun Halloween for all!
1. Hem costumes short enough to avoid accidents.
2. Most Simplicity costumes leave faces uncovered for ease of vision. If a costume requires a mask, make sure that all eyeholes are large, and that the mask fits firmly over the face.
3. An alternative to masks is face paint. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s application instructions, and test for skin sensitivity by dabbing a small amount on the inside of your arm. Leave on for at least an hour and check for rash or irritation.
4. For safe nighttime fun, add reflective-tape trim to costumes for increased visibility. Sequins and sequin tape are also good reflectors.
5. For cold weather wearing, note that all Simplicity costumes are developed with enough room for clothing underneath. Costumes that have hoods or are made out of fake fur will provide extra warmth. Another option is to make your costume out of fleece.
6. For additional warmth where fur or fleece won’t do, you can line the costume with an insulating fabric such as flannel. To do this, simply cut out all of the pattern pieces except facings in both the fashion fabric and the lining material. Before sewing the costume, stitch each piece of lining to each piece of fashion fabric. Then, sew costume as directed on guide sheet.
7. Since all fabrics are not flame retardant, take extra care near jack-o-lanterns and candles.