SewaNew, the theme for September is National Sewing Month 2010, promotes every sewing enthusiast’s unique ability to enhance his or her personal style through fabric and machine.
It’s no secret that sewing is hot! We’ve been hearing reports of teens and young adults filling learn-to-sew classes and even some schools are bringing back previously abandoned sewing programs. Many are also returning to sewing after years – or even decades – away to find amazing new fabric choices, patterns that are easier to use and tech-savvy machines with set-it-and-forget-it features. A friend of mine who sold her sewing machine in a garage sale 10 years ago (telling me she never expected to sew again) recently purchased a new machine. The enthusiasm that I see in her now was absent the first time around. Previously, her sewing was utilitarian. Now it’s become exciting!
Of course, those of us who have continued to pursue this wonderful outlet know that it’s the creative satisfaction that keeps us coming back. And this year’s National Sewing Month theme celebrates the excitement we all share for sewing.
September will be here before we know it:
- Promotional materials are available as free downloads from the National Sewing Month website.
- Don’t miss the Accessorize Your Life contest We are challenging you to sew up your best accessory idea. There are 8 categories and the top 3 from all entries will win great prizes (prizes to be announced August 5, 2010). Contest ends September 30, 2010.
- Videos and projects will be available
- Special Guidelines are being introduced for National Sewing Month
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
- Watch for more National Sewing Month activities